To Be Horribly Unclear

I'm here to rant and rave about every day life as well as asking some questions and getting some answers.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Rudeness Capital of the World aka. Orly's Rant: Episode II


I ran into this article in our local newspaper, The Miami Herald. It states that a national poll conducted last year and in 2002 that incivility and rudeness is a growing problem and it seems that South Florida is number 1 in a list of cities with the rudest people. I read the article and found that the majority of the problems talked about is quite evident here in South Florida. It's all about me, me, me. It does seem as if everyone feels like they are more important than everyone else. I have to admit I've caught myself acting that way while driving and I have since tried to eliminate that behavior. If I'm late to work then it's my own fault. A good example of almost everything this article discusses is go visit Walmart here in Miami. When I go people push me, push my little one, push my wife, push my cart even when my little one is sitting inside, push my mother if we happen to be in their way and there is no way through unless they wait a few seconds for a path to clear.

Another issue I go through is that although I am cuban I don't look like the typical "latino" as say my brother, Pavel. I have light features: Light brown hair, green eyes, light skin and when I speak I don't have the usual "Miamian" accent. I find myself to be pretty articulate compared to most people here. So when I get a spanish speaking customer that for whatever reason is annoyed with me starts to insult me in spanish to whoever they are with thinking I don't know Spanish. I let them roll with it for a while until the very end and I say to them in spanish "Oh, by the way, I understood every word you said." I would love to hear what you guys think about this article and maybe create some discussion on it.

I'm sick and tired of all the a$$holes that can't drive for shit in this city because it's getting old ALMOST getting into bad accidents a few times a day, everyday and to add insult to injury when they do something $hitty and then you yell at them they lower their window to start laughing at you and crack some jokes at me as if I'M the one that did something stupid. Just the other day some guy didn't see us in the turning lane and start to merge into our lane right on top of us. We honked and he finally noticed us. When I yelled "Nice driving! Next time, pay attention!" he rolled his window and made some incoherent comment about how cute I was sitting in the passenger seat and then blew a kiss at me. WTF is this all about?!

Yeah, it's pretty shitty living here in Miami and it's definitely not the place to raise children...not like Morristown, TN or Knoxville, TN the few times I was there to visit my brother.
I found this song on youtube.com and found it appropriate. It's from a great band called Nickelback and was edited to roll with scenes from a great game called Kingdom Hearts. If you have a PS2 I do recommend getting this game. My daughter loves sitting next to me to watch while I play it. Enjoy!!

"If Everyone Cared"
From underneath the trees, we watch the sky
Confusing stars for satellites
I never dreamed that you’d be mine
But here we are, we’re here tonight

Singing Amen, I’m alive
Singing Amen, I’m alive

If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
We’d see the day when nobody died
And I’m singing

Amen I, I’m alive
Amen I, I’m alive

And in the air the fireflies
Our only light in paradise
We’ll show the world they were wrong
And teach them all to sing along

Singing Amen I’m alive
Singing Amen I’m alive

If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
We’d see the day when nobody died
If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
We’d see the day when nobody died

And as we lie beneath the stars
We realize how small we are
If they could love like you and me
Imagine what the world could be

If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
We’d see the day when nobody died

We’d see the day, we’d see the day
When nobody died
We’d see the day, we’d see the day
When nobody died
We’d see the day when nobody died

3 Comments:

Blogger mindtwister said...

I really like this song. I've had the album awhile and am just now starting to listen to it. I love the song Far Away, and I am digging the song Rockstar. Great choice in tunes for the day :)

Thursday, August 31, 2006  
Blogger Carrie said...

Man, I could go on about rudeness for days. It makes me sososososo freaking mad! I am not ashamed to point it out to the person being rude, either. There is no way that you can be in that big of a damn hurry in Wal-Mart to act that way.

I grew up in Birmingham, Alabama, driving on I-65 and 20-59 when I was 16. None of my family understand why I like living in Starkville, MS and it's really simple. People aren't as crappy here! It doesn't take traffic jams and swearing to get to the store.

I feel for you, I really do. I could never move back to a big city, I just would burst at the general sh*ttiness of people. Good luck to you and move when you can!

Thursday, August 31, 2006  
Blogger RedNeckGirl said...

Omg....the cartoon was too freakin' funny! Looooove it!

I've seen an increase in rudeness everywhere......sad really. Here it's not as bad in stores but on the road....look out people don't care!

Thursday, August 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home